Monday, December 28, 2009

White Chocolate Peppermint Trifle


I found the recipe for White Chocolate Mousse and decided to add peppermint and a few other ingredients and make a trifle for Christmas. It turned out yummy, but you'd probably want some sort of sweet bread or cake or something to go with it since it's really just a pudding consistency the whole way through.

First, you'll want to make the mousse... you can do this a day or two ahead if you want to.

White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse

Ingredients

3 C heavy cream
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
10 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped

Directions

The day before you plan to serve the dessert, in a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat just until it boils. Remove from heat and add peppermint extract and white chocolate. Stir with a whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Cover and let cool in refrigerator overnight.

Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and use a hand mixer to whip it into fluffy soft peaks (this may take a few minutes). Return mixture to refrigerator until ready to use.


For the rest of the trifle, I just mixed two regular size packages of chocolate pudding and once it was set I mixed in half a package of crushed Oreo cookies and one package of crushed peppermint candy canes. Once everything is mixed, just layer the mousse and the pudding in the trifle bowl.

**The original recipe for the mousse had you add 1 cup of beaten egg whites and 4 tablespoons sugar to the cream mixture after it cools, but I didn't want the uncooked egg whites so I left that out, and the white chocolate really was sweet enough that I didn't think you had to add the extra sugar. It might be a good idea to add them if you're doing the mousse on it's own though.

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful but when I saw the picture I said "Hey! I didn't even see that, when did we serve it?" Then I saw it was made by Megan - she squeezed in a recipe between Carrie's! :D)

    ReplyDelete