Monday, March 7, 2011

Yummy Frosting

I'm not exactly sure how to post this recipe.  I'm not exactly sure what to call it - Dangerously Good Frosting?  Flour Frosting?  Chad suggests, "Perfectly Legal Addictive Substance." If you have any good ideas, let me know and we can vote on it.  Normally I'm not a huge frosting fan, but this stuff can stand on it's own.  In fact, I think I like it better by itself than on the cake.  I made a really moist, rich chocolate cake to go with it, not realizing that this frosting is also really rich and I think it would do better with a more simple cake (from a mix?).
I got the recipe from the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen Blog.  The lady who submitted it does a great job of describing it and I really don't think I'd do it any justice by trying to rewrite it so I'm just going to give you the link to it and let you check it out there.  One note I'll mention though is that on the step where you're beating the butter and sugar, you don't have to beat it until there isn't any graininess from the sugar.  Believe me, I tried and it doesn't work.  Just beat until it's really light and fluffy and the rest of the mixing takes care of the graininess.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/
Becky, I'm giving you the assignment to try this because Avery tells me that she is going to have this kind of frosting on her wedding cake.  So you have 15 years to practice (I was going to say 20...).  However, it's really light and fluffy, not decorator's icing!
We made the cake to celebrate the start of the Iditarod, so here's our final product:

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love a good frosting! Now I want to go make a cake! :) Perhaps I will make some cupcakes to take to Jodee when we go down for her bridal shower, and perhaps it'll end up on her wedding cake, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually made that recipe before, many years ago. I don't remember which cookbook I found it in. I suppose I didn't adopt it for my everyday frosting because it takes a little longer... duh.

    ReplyDelete