Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sandwich Buns


I made these buns for dinner tonight....I wanted to make French dip sandwiches but I didn't want to go to the store with all 3 kids just for rolls, so I searched for an easy recipe and found this.  They are really easy.  It took more than 30 minutes for mine to rise to double their size.  I sprinkled some with sesame seeds, some with sea salt and left a couple plain.  And I of course had to taste test one before dinner....they're good.  : )
I am going to try making them with wheat flour next time.

Homemade Sandwich Buns


1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, room temperature
4-1/2 cups flour
1 package instant yeast (2-1/4 teaspoon)
1-1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted. Check temperature. Depending on the temperature, let cool to 120F. Carefully beat in egg.
Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast and salt. Mix into the milk mixture. Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.
When the dough pulls together, (it will form a soft ball) turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes. Mari used her stand mixer, beating with the paddle attachment, then switched to the dough hook to knead. Add a little more flour while mixing with the dough hook, a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
Divide dough into 12-16 equal parts. I used my new scale (love this and wish I had purchased it long ago) so I had 12 buns of equal size. Shape into smooth balls, flatten slightly, and place on a silicone mat covered baking sheet.
Cover loosely with plastic film and allow to rise in 30-40 minutes. When buns have almost doubled bake at 400°F for 10-12 minutes.
If desired, after buns have risen, brush tops with beaten egg for a shiny glaze. You may also want to add sesame seeds, sauteed minced onions (cooled), coarse salt, etc, then bake.

The lady who posted the recipe on her blog offers these suggestions, if you're interested.  In case you don't know what to do with homemade rolls.  Like, eat them plain!  : ) 
These wonderful buns make delicious sandwiches of any kind, and I especially like them split, toasted and buttered for breakfast. I combined a little deli sliced turkey, chive flavored cream cheese and a scoop of cranberry tangerine chutney and the resulting sandwich is delish. 

This recipe is from Wiveswithknives.net.  

No comments:

Post a Comment