Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Double Spaghetti Squash

Back in the days of fast metabolisms, Becky and I really liked to cook a spaghetti squash with lots of butter and each eat half of it for a meal. Yum! This recipe is so good it was tempting me to eat that much again, but now my waistline isn't so forgiving so I used some self-control. And then I got to have the leftovers the next day!
I really like spaghetti squash that isn't cooked to mushiness. I prefer cooking it uncovered with a little butter, salt and pepper. If you like it softer, you can cover it while it cooks and probably get away without the butter in the first step.

Double Spaghetti Squash
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
butter to taste, optional
4 oz uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley (or some dried)
2 T. grated Parmesan
1 T. butter, melted
1 T. chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried -( fresh is WAY better)
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Heat oven to 350. Cut squash in half and remove the seeds (you can roast them if you want). Put about an inch or two of water in the pan you are going to use to cook the squash. Put the squash in the pan, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Put some butter in the squash. Cook about 45 minutes or until the squash is as tender as you like it. Reserve one half for dinner tomorrow night.
Cook and drain the spaghetti.
With a fork, scrape the squash strands out and add to the spaghetti noodles, along with the remaining ingredients; toss to combine. Return spaghetti mixture to the shell if desired and serve.

Recipe altered slightly from Betty Crocker. I think. I'm pretty sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment