Sunday, August 9, 2015

DIY Mascara

Okay, so this is not a food recipe, but I figured I'd share anyway.  I tried making this last week when my mascara ran out and I was really happy with how it turned out.  It doesn't fake or melt off and it lasts all day.  As with most DIY make-up, the initial cost is more, but the ingredients last forever and it's quite cheap overall.
I ended up adding aloe vera gel to get a smooth enough consistency (by the way, this is different from the blue aloe vera you get in the sunscreen section).

DIY Natural Mascara Ingredients:

  • 1/4 tsp activated charcoal (this was one capsule for me)
  • 1/4 tsp bentonite clay, scant
  • 1/8 tsp (about 4 drops) vegetable glycerine
  • 1/4 tsp (plus more if needed) aloe vera gel
  • 5 drops lavender essential oil

What to Do:

  1. Mix all ingredients in a very small bowl until completely smooth.
  2. Add more aloe vera gel if needed to get a smooth consistency.
  3. Carefully scoop into the medicine dropper with a spatula and slowly squirt into the mascara container (or jar)
  4. Alternately, you can add the ingredients directly to the mascara tube and mix with the mascara brush, though it takes a while of mixing to get the ingredients smooth inside the tube.
  5. Use as you would regular mascara.

No comments:

Post a Comment