Sunday, December 4, 2016

Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole

I guess we've been in the mood for Mexican food lately.  This casserole was really tasty, quick and easy.  I didn't use rotisserie chicken, I just used some of the chicken that we canned, and I flavored it with cumin, salt, pepper and ancho chili powder before I added everything together.  It originally called for chopped fresh tomatoes, but I just used a can of the Rotel tomatoes becuase I knew that Jeff would like those better than fresh.  I liked the addition of a little bit of green chile in there, too.



Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole

2 C. shredded rotisserie chicken
1 C. (8 oz) sour cream
1-1/2 C. salsa verde, divided
8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
1 can Rotel tomatoes w/ green chiles OR 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1/4 C. minced fresh cilantro
2 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Optional toppings: avocado slices, thinly sliced green onions or fresh cilantro leaves

Combine the chicken, sour cream and 3/4 C. salsa in a small bowl.  spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom of a greased 8 in. square baking dish.
Layer with half of the tortillas and chicken mixture; sprinkle with half of the tomatoes, half of the minced cilantro and half of the cheese.  Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and warm throughout.  Serve with remaining salsa and , if desired, optional toppings.  Yield: 6 servings

From TasteofHome.com


No comments:

Post a Comment