Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mexican Rice

O.k., so this is another recipe that calls for cilantro that I actually liked. That makes a grand total of 3, because once when I was pregnant with one of the kids I made some rice dish w/ cilantro that I really liked. I think the key is that it's cooked. ANYWAY, this rice is really good. And I even ruined it a little! Yes, I was in a hurry, and I forgot to turn the stove down to let the rice simmer, so the bottom was burned. So we just ate the rice on top and we thought it was quite tasty! I used a little less onion, for Jeff's sake, and I used an orange bell pepper because we like them better than green AND they were on sale.

Mexican Rice

1 C. white rice
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 C. chicken broth
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/ 2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 can diced green chiles, or 1 fresh jalapeno, finely diced
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1 cube chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 C. chopped fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

In a medium sauce pan, cook rice in oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in onion, green pepper, green chiles or jalapeno and diced tomato. Season with bouillon cube, salt and pepper, cumin, cilantro, and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment