Sunday, February 26, 2017

Coconut Syrup

This.  This. is. so. good.  I printed this recipe forever ago and every time I came across it I made a mental note to try it and then I forgot about it.  So last night we made orange french toast (was o.k. but needed more orange flavor, which is why I'm not posting it).  Anyway, I thought that this syrup would be amazing with that but of course then I couldn't find the recipe.  Tonight we had waffles for dinner (can you tell that Jeff is out of town?  Ha!)  I found the recipe and I am so glad I did.  It's so good in int's coconutty deliciousness.  It was great with the Southern Living Out of This World Waffles but would be great with fruit flavored pancakes/waffles, on fresh fruit, or just eaten with a spoon!  :)  I used vanilla bean paste because I just felt like it and I wouldn't recommend that simply because the syrup isn't very thick, so the little flecks of vanilla bean all settle to the bottom.  Not a big deal, but still.  Anyway, if you like coconut, ya gotta try this.

Coconut Syrup

1 can coconut milk (NOT light)
1 C. water
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch of salt

Using a mesh strainer, separate thick coconut cream from coconut milk and set aside.  (A lot of the cream still went through the strainer so I just skimmed it off the top of the coconut milk when it wsa time to add it in.)
Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.  Make simple syrup by cooking over medium to medium-high heat, stirring often, until reduced to about half and is somewhat thickened.
Reduce heat and stir coconut cream into simple syrup.  Whisk together until smooth.  continue to simmer until thickened.  Stir in vanilla and salt.  Serve over favorite waffle, pancake, bowl of fruit - whatever you want!  Enjoy!

Recipefrom shefshanan.com, which doesn't seem to exist anymore.

1 comment: