Saturday, March 4, 2017

Chicken and Rice Soup

This is so good! We're all nursing colds over here so I thought soup would be in order for dinner and this one was delicious! The original recipe didn't call for cream, but I saw lots of creamy rice soup recipes so I decided to add some to this and we loved it. You can do it either way. And I just realized I forgot the garlic when I made it, but I think that would be delicious too!

Chicken and Rice Soup
1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1 bay leaf
2 quarts (8 c.) chicken broth
1 c. water
1 c. long grain white rice
2 c. cooked shredded or chopped chicken
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. cream, optional

Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil. Add the vegetables, thyme and bay leaf. Saute until the vegetables are softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the rice and simmer over medium-low until the rice is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Add the chicken about 5 minutes before the rice is done cooking. When the rice is done, remove the bay leaf, stir in the cream and heat it through, but don't boil it again.

Recipe adapted from TwoPeasandTheirPod

No comments:

Post a Comment