Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Overnight Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal

This is the best recipe for slow cooker steel cut oats that I've tried. It turned out creamy and flavorful and there weren't any burned edges. I actually made it with some of our winter squash (like Butternut), so I can't claim to trying it with actual pumpkin, but they're very similar so I'm sure it's good too.
You cook this in a water bath in a separate dish inside the crock pot. I made a 1/2 recipe because I only had 1 dish that would fit in my crock pot and that's how much it would hold. My dish wasn't on the bottom of the crock pot either. It was suspended by the sides, but the water still came up high enough to reach it.

Overnight Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
4 1/2 c. milk
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin, or about 2 c. pumpkin/winter squash puree
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 T. vanilla extract
1 T. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. steel cut oats

Find an oven-safe baking dish (like Pyrex or Conrningware) that will fit in your slow cooker, but still allow the slow cooker lid to fit on securely.
In the baking dish, whisk all the ingredients but the oats. Once they're combined, stir in the oats. Carefully place the baking dish in the slow cooker and slowly pour water into the bottom of the slow cooker until it reaches about 1 inch below the top of the baking dish. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Remove the dish and stir before serving.

Yield: 6-8 servings

Adapted slightly from fivehearthome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment