Monday, January 8, 2018

Spiced Maple Pumpkin Butter

This is so good! I only did a half recipe because I didn't want to make tons in case we didn't like it, but it is delicious! If you only have part of a can of pumpkin left, this is a great way to use it up. I used about 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin puree for a half recipe. I also only did half of the ginger because I knew I wouldn't like it with lots of ginger. (I added my change in the recipe.) I'm thinking you could probably freeze a bigger batch, but I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure.

Spiced Maple Pumpkin Butter

29-ounce can of pureed pumpkin, about 3½ cups puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
¾ cup light brown sugar
½ cup maple syrup
finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
pinch ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, and salt. Bring to a slow simmer. The mixture is so thick, you will see only an occasional large bubble.
  2. Simmer, stirring occasionally at first, and then more frequently during the final 15 minutes, until reduced and thickened (but still moist), 20-30 minutes. The puree should reduce to 2½-3 cups and have a silky, spreadable consistency.
  3. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
  4. Cool, and then refrigerate until needed.
  5. If Pumpkin Butter is too thick after chilling, thin with a little warm water or apple juice.
Makes about 2½ cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment