Friday, February 16, 2018

Keow Neow Ma Muang

Becky asked me to post the sticky rice with mango recipe and I had a little panic attack when I couldn't find it in my cookbook... how did I not save the recipe?  Honestly.  Then I remembered that it's really quite easy to make.

Instead of an actual "recipe", I'll just give you instructions:

Soak sticky rice (glutinous, long grain rice) in water several hours (I usually do this overnight).  Steam the rice until tender and sticky (if you take it off the steam too soon it won't be sticky, even if it's tender enough to eat).
Now you have two options - you can just pour coconut milk and sugar over individual bowls of sticky rice (this shouldn't be soupy, but it also shouldn't be dry... and just add the sugar to taste), or you can make the following:

3/4 C coconut milk
1/3 C sugar (or more, to taste)
pinch of salt

Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves and pour over rice (again, since I didn't give you a specific measurement of sticky rice to use, just separate into individual serving bowls and pour on enough that it's wet, but not soupy).  Let this sit for about 30 minutes to soak up the flavor.
Top with additional coconut milk and sugar and sliced fresh mango.

I actually haven't tried the cooking method, but I think I will next time because I think it will give it a better texture and a stronger flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment