Monday, February 15, 2021

Easy, Soft Flatbread

This really is the easiest and tastiest flatbread recipe I've tried. I usually triple the batch because my family gobbles it up.


Easy Soft Flatbread

2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

3 1/2 T. butter

3/4 c. milk

Combine the butter and milk and heat just until the butter is melted (stove or microwave). Add it to the flour and salt in a medium bowl (I use my stand mixer because I make a bigger batch). Mix it and then knead it until it is smooth, either in the stand mixer or on a lightly floured counter.

Cover with a bowl or plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes. Lightly spray the counter with oil (or dust with flour if you prefer) and cut the dough into 4-6 pieces (I usually do 6) and shape roughly in a ball. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat (or more than one pan if you're making lots). 

While the pan heats, roll out the dough into about 1/8" thick rounds (thinner is better so it cooks more evenly without getting tough). Spray the pan if necessary (I never do) and place one disk in. Cook about 1- 1 1/2 minutes; it will bubble up and start to get brown spots like a tortilla. Flip and cook the other side, pressing down if it bubbles up too much. If you find spots that still look doughy, flip it back over and cook a little longer, pressing down on those doughy spots with a spatula.

Stack the bread on a plate lined with a tea towel to keep them from getting soggy, and cover them with a tea towel (or the sides of the towel if it's big enough). Continue cooking, stacking, and covering.


Notes:

If you're making a bunch, I roll out several while the pans heat, then always try to make sure I have 2 more ready to go in. It moves fast, but you can get a system down.

If you want it to be more crispy like Naan, cook it at a higher temperature, and maybe don't stack them and cover them.


From RecipeTinEats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment