Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Red Berry Risotto Oatmeal

I've experimented with this recipe lots to get it to work right for me (just the cooking method, not the actual recipe).  I got it from My Kitchen Cafe blog.  The original recipe says to use a rice cooker but it always overflows in mine so I've resorted to the stove.  I've also found that you should use a tall pot if you have one because it really boils up!
Also, it calls for Arborio rice which I've never found at all of the two or maybe three stores I've checked at (which makes me think it must be expensive and not readily available.)  So I just use regular white or brown rice.  I think it would be good with any kind of berry.

Red Berry Risotto Oatmeal
1/2 c. steel-ground oats
1 c. rice
1/2 c. heavy cream or milk
6 c. water
1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Frozen raspberries OR 1 c. each ripe raspberries and strawberries, quartered

In a tall pot, add all the ingredients, except the fruit.  Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until done, at least 30 minutes. (Give it a stir and taste a bit to see if it's still crunchy). 
Spoon into bowls and let individuals garnish with berries, stirring to thaw the frozen ones and turn it pink!

2 comments:

  1. short grain rice works the same as arborio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this....I can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete