Sunday, October 23, 2011

Frosting Update

Since I posted the recipe for that really yummy frosting back in March, I've seen it in a few other places.  Our Best Bites calls it Whipped Buttercream and the Lion House Cakes and Cupcakes cookbook calls it Baker's Frosting.  There are a few alterations here and there between the recipes but they are mainly the same.

I tried making this for some cupcakes for a bridal shower.  It totally failed.  Twice.  So I brought some yummy looking ones made with a different kind of frosting, and some that looked like I spread curdled milk on top of them.  I was desperate though because I had to leave!!

Later, I searched Our Best Bites and I found out a few things.  The big thing apparently is that you have to use name brand butter.  Most especially, not Wal-Mart or Sam's Club butter.  I think I probably used Smith's or Western Family butter the first couple of times I made it and it turned out ok, but these last times it was Wally World's.  Others on their website had trouble with that brand too.  Weird.  Maybe their butter is made with lower quality stuff.

One last thing - don't put it in the fridge!  It separates and you get chunks of butter... bleh!

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along.  If you're planning on trying the recipe, you may want to splurge on the costly stuff.  Otherwise, just stick with regular buttercream!

No comments:

Post a Comment