Friday, January 25, 2013

Slow-Cooked Orange-Ginger Chicken

I have to admit that I've only recently tried out using fresh ginger. And, I must say, the smell of it alone is enough reason for me to keep using it! It smells so good! So, if you've never tried it before, you should. I used what I needed and then minced the rest in my little Ninja and froze it. Then I just break off a chunk when I need some. (Alternately, you can grate it off the frozen hunk, but I think it's easier to just break it).

This recipe originally called for making these into lettuce wraps, but I think it's better just served over rice. But, you can try the lettuce wraps if you want. I also decided that I would rather eat the orange slices on the side, not added to the chicken, but I don't really like warm oranges... You can also add some vegetables like bell peppers or whatever you like. So, there are some alternatives for you.


(Picture from Lisa's Kitchen Blog http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/blogs/lisas-kitchen/2012/06/18/slow-cooker-orange-ginger-chicken/)

Slow Cooker Orange-Ginger Chicken
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. orange juice
4 tsp. soy sauce
4 tsp. ginger, freshly grated or from a jar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or a dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 orange (zest and fruit)
3 green onions, sliced
rice, white or brown
lettuce (optional)

Place chicken into a greased 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and the zest of one orange. Whisk to combine and pour over meat in slow cooker, turning to coat. Cover and cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.

Prepare rice, using some of the juices from the crock pot, if desired.

While the rice is cooking, remove chicken pieces to a cutting board and shred into bite-sized pieces. Return to slow cooker. Cut orange segments into bite-sized pieces and fold into the mixture, if desired. Add the scallions as well.

Serve over rice, or if using lettuce, scoop some rice and chicken onto a lettuce leaf to eat.

Recipe adapted from Lisa's Kitchen Blog at www.livingthecountrylife.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment