Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

This is the first strawberry-rhubarb pie I've ever made.  I've only had rhubarb once and it was good but I never really think of making anything with it.  Dad asked for this for Father's Day so I made this and a peach pie.  This recipe is so good.  I used my favorite pie crust recipe.  I also forgot to buy a lemon so I just used refrigerated lemon juice and of course didn't have the lemon zest.  I don't think I'll worry about the zest next time because I liked this pie just the way it was.  Do make sure to crimp the edges together well because I didn't and some of the filling leaked out leaving me with a stinky, burnt mess on the bottom of the oven.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

1 Recipe of Becky's Perfect Pie Crust, separated into two equal sections and refrigerated
Filling:
2 1/2 cups chopped red rhubarb, fresh
2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and cut strawberries (in larger pieces)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter, cubed small
1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Large granule sugar

Roll out 1 piece of the pie dough to make a bottom crust.  Place it into a 9-inch pie plate.  Place the plate in the refrigerator to chill.
For the filling:
Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, flour, zest and lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla.  Mix well in a large bowl and pour out into chilled crust.  Dot the top of the filling with the butter.  Brush edges of pie crust with egg white wash.  Roll our the other piece of dough and place over filling.  Crimp tho seal edges.  Brush with egg white wash and garnish with large granule sugar.  Collar with foil and bake at 425° for 15 minutes.  Decrease temperature to 375° and bake for an additonal 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling starts bubbling.  Higher altitude will take 450 degrees F and 400 degrees F respectively.  Let cool before serving.  

Recipe altered slightly from foodnetwork.com





No comments:

Post a Comment