Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Panettone French Toast


This is my favorite French toast recipe. I LOVE it. It's in one of my cookbooks, but for some reason every time I go to make it, I think that I've got a print out of it, and then I look for it on my computer, and then finally I remember it's in this cookbook, Brunch, by Louise Pickford. So I'm just going to post it and print it and....problem solved, I think? Besides, it's too good not to share. I confess, I've never actually made it using Panettone bread....it's expensive and hard to find! But maybe someday I will. I just use Italian bread and it's divine. And if you cut your bread at a diagonal and then flip one side over, you can make a little heart.....awwwwww. Hello, Valentine's day breakfast! And of course it's deeeeelish with fresh (or in this picture, frozen) berries. Mmmm....mmm.

Panettone French Toast

1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla)
2/3 C. canned coconut milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)
4 Tbsp butter
8 slices panettone or other sweet bread
For Serving: (optional)
confectioner's sugar, for dusting
blueberries or blackberries
whipped cream

Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out he seeds. Put the coconut milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla seeds, and cardamom in a bowl and beat well. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
Heat your griddle or skillet to 375 degrees. Use some of the butter to grease the skillet or griddle. Dip bread slices into the egg mixture and cook on hot griddle until golden on both sides. Repeat with the remaining slices and serve dusted with confectioners' sugar and topped with berries and cream.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely one of our favorites (maybe even number 1 favorite) - and we're big breakfast people! I've never used panettone either and I definitely suggest using Italian bread not French b/c the Italian is slightly sweeter and more dense which is what you want. Sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete