Monday, February 21, 2011

Quinoa Salad With Apples and Walnuts




Quinoa (say Keen-Wa) is high in fiber, a good source of iron, and has all eight essential amino acids. Whole grain Quinoa is the most nutritious of all grains. It has a delicate nutty flavor and is very easy to prepare. ---That was from the front of the Quinoa package---
Cooking Quinoa is about the same as cooking rice - 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

2 cups apple juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup quinoa
1 - 6 oz. cup of plain or vanilla yogurt (2/3 cup)
3 tablespoons honey
1 large apple, chopped
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup raisins or craisins

In medium saucepan, bring apple juice and cinnamon to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce to simmer and cook 20-25 minutes or until juice is absorbed. Remove and cool. In medium bowl, combine yogurt and honey until blended well. Stir in apples, walnuts and raisins/craisins. Add cooled quinoa to yogurt mixture and chill in refrigerator.

We made this with craisins but I imagine dried blueberry's would be good too. We also used finely chopped walnuts hoping Jeff wouldn't notice them ;)
I'm on a mission to find apple juice that doesn't come from China! If it says "distributed by" but not where the food was produced I don't want to buy it. I want good American food for my family. Check the labels especially on apple juice which mostly comes from China now :-(

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad this was good - I'm excited to try it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could use other flavors of juice too? Looks yummy.
    I've read that hulled millet is actually a super healthy grain too. Just don't get the kind that's used for bird seed (the non-hulled kind).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep this was good. I think next time I'll try it with birdseed. haha! Just kidding. (About the birdseed, not that it was good - it WAS good.)

    ReplyDelete