Friday, February 4, 2011

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

Yet another pumpkin muffin recipe.  I think it's kind of like banana bread - there are so many varieties out there that you can always be trying a new one.  We all (including my kids) loved this one.  I really like the subtle orange flavor.  (I'm kind of a sucker for that).  The original recipe said to use wheat flour but I decided I actually wanted my family to eat these so I thought the wheat germ was enough so I used white flour instead.   I also did half wheat germ and half ground flax seed.  They bake up nice and big too.

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2/3 c. cooked or canned pumpkin
1/2 c. sour milk (1/2 T. lemon juice + enough milk to make 1/2 c.)
2 eggs
2 T. molasses
1 tsp. finely grated orange peel
2 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. wheat germ (can do half or all ground flax seed too)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt

Streusel Topping:
1/3 c. flour
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. cold butter

Cream the butter and sugars.  Add pumpkin, milk, eggs, molasses and orange peel; mix well.  Combine dry ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture.  Coat muffin tins with oil spray and fill. 
For topping combine flour and sugar, then cut in butter until crumbly.  (This works great in a food processor or with a mini food chopper!)  Sprinkle over batter.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Yield: 12-15 muffins.

Adapted from Quick Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment