Friday, July 5, 2013

Homemade Sports Drink

Chad drinks a lot of Gatorade and I just kept wondering if there was something less chemically that he could drink sometimes instead. There are pioneer recipes for schrub and switchel, but they both have vinegar and are not my favorite thing to drink (neither are most sports drinks). So I did a search and found several recipes for sports drinks. I only tried one version, but I thought it was really good with a light flavor that quenches thirst better than plain water (and no, it doesn't taste salty). My kids really liked it too. Chad liked it, but I think it will take a while to wean him from the convenience of the powder mix stuff.
And that is the downside to this - it's not as readily available as the pre-made or powder mix. But for times when you know you're going to want some, you can make it ahead and have it ready. And I also mixed the base syrup and kept it in the fridge for a couple of days and then mixed in the water and ice and it was still good too.

Homemade Sports Drink
1 c. hot water
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4-1/2 c. orange juice
1 T. lemon juice
ice
cold water

Mix the sugar and salt into the hot water until completely dissolved. Stir in the juices. Put into a quart size water bottle along with a handful of ice cubes. Fill the rest of the way with cold water and shake or swirl to combine it all.
Yield: 1 quart

This recipe adapted/combined from The Daily Garnish and One Good Thing by Jillee


1 comment:

  1. And sooo much cheaper! I do not like buying $1 per bottle drinks...

    ReplyDelete