Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bacon!

Since it's Valentine's Day and so many people seem to be having a love affair with bacon lately, I thought I'd post a new way to cook bacon. Well, it's new to me anyway. I tried it for the first time this morning and I liked the results. The bacon wasn't all curled up, leaving you with chewy gross fatty parts. Instead, it all cooked up nice and crisp. Seriously, the whole piece! I even snapped a picture before it was all gobbled up!

Be warned, though, your house will get all smoky. (Mine always does when I cook bacon though...). I haven't tried it yet with turkey bacon for Chad, but I'll give that a try sometime I'm sure!

There are a couple different pan preparation choices. You could line a cookie sheet with foil. You can put a cooling rack on the cookie sheet and the bacon on top of that so the fat drips off. Or you can use the broiler pan that has the slits in it so the bacon fat drips through those. I opted for the broiler pan method because I really don't care how that pan looks.

So, here's the method.

  1. Get your pan of choice ready. 
  2. Put the bacon on. 
  3. Put it in the oven. 
  4. NOW turn the oven on to 400 degrees. (So the oven has not been preheated). 
  5. Cook the bacon for 12 minutes or until it's as crisp as you like. (Mine took more like 17 minutes). 
  6. Drain on a paper towel-lined tray. Voila!


Recipe from Old School - Self Reliance 101.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! I'm gonna have to try that next time I make bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I'm so going to try this. And it is faster, too!

    ReplyDelete