Friday, February 3, 2012

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

I have actually wanted to try making these for a few months but lost the recipe so I was glad to see it on Our Best Bites today. Normally I don't really like chickpeas, but when they're cooked this way they get crispy and highly munchable. My kids were even eating them. In fact Cameron took the bowl for himself and told me not to get his balls and that he's not going to let me have any. (Fine with me kiddo! You eat all the chickpeas you want since you're potty trained now! Ha ha!) He's keeping his water bottle nearby because they do have a little spice to them, but it must not bother him too much! You can alter the spiciness to your tastes. I used 1/8 tsp rather than 1/4 tsp of the cayenne.

The original recipe actually comes from a site called What's Gaby Cooking. I've included her original spices as a variation. (I haven't tried that combo yet).

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
1 15-oz can chickpeas
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin

Preheat oven to 400. Drain and rinse chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the oil and spices. Toss the chickpeas in the spice mixture and spread the seasoned chickpeas over a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes and then use a spatula to stir the chickpeas around a bit. Return to the oven and cook for another 15-20 minutes or until browned (but not burned) and crispy. Allow to cool.

Spice Variation:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. paprika

No comments:

Post a Comment