Saturday, February 18, 2012

Black Bean Chicken Burritos

I made these this afternoon to freeze for lunches - I'm always looking for something new for lunch! - and they were easy and I think they'll freeze well which means I can make a batch and not have to have the same thing all week but enjoy them at my leisure. I used my panini grill but if you don't have one you can cook these in a skillet and place a cast iron skillet on top of the burritos for 3 minutes on each side.

One more thought, this calls for 2 cups of shredded chicken so naturally I only used 1 cup but that left too much of the watery juice so if you only use 1 cup of chicken reduce by half the water, lime juice and seasonings. (You don't want your burritos to be watery.) Also if you use 1 cup of chicken you can use your whole can of black beans.



Black Bean Chicken Burritos

1/4 C water
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (or to taste - naturally I used way less and found it plenty spicy...)
2 C shredded chicken breast
3/4 C black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 C salsa
4 flour tortillas
1/2 C finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cooking spray
Sour cream, if desired

Bring the first 6 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in chicken.

Combine beans and salsa in a bowl. Add chicken mixture and stir to combine. Divide evenly between 4 tortillas. Top each with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Tuck ends in and roll up the tortillas.

Cook in panini grill for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through and nicely browned. Serve warm with sour cream.



Altered from a recipe in Cooking Light.

1 comment:

  1. This one looks so good and would be perfect for freezer lunches in a rush. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete