Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Creamy Potato Leek Soup with Cheesy Toast Dippers


I tried this recipe (and got the photo) from http://www.stephanieskitchen.com/ and Jeremy and I both really liked it. I'd never cooked with leeks before and the ones I got were really big so I think I only used 1.5-2 leeks instead of 3 and I liked how it turned out. I didn't have a baguette so I just used regular toasted bread and with the butter and cheese it was delicious with the soup!


Creamy Potato Leek Soup with Cheesy Toast Dippers

6 slices bacon, crumbled
3 leeks, cleaned and sliced
6 or 7 potatoes, cubed
44 ounces chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup fat free half and half

In a large soup pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside, but keep the bacon fat in the pan. Saute the leeks in the bacon fat for about 6-8 minutes or until soft. Add potatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and soft. Using a blender or food processor, puree half of the soup and add back into the remaining soup.* Add the half and half and mix until smooth. Use the bacon as a crispy topping.

For the cheesy toast dippers:
Slice a baguette into thin pieces and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (I use cheddar) and sprinkle some dried parsley on top of the cheese. Place on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for just a few minutes or until the cheese is melted. Dip into the hot soup!


*I also thought it would be quicker to use a hand mixer and just mix the soup until it came to the consistency I liked. You'll just have to be careful not to scrape the bottom of your pan with the mixers!:)

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm....this sounds delish. I wonder if Jeff would like it. Do leeks have a strong onion-y flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No they're waaay more mild than onions. I'm not a huge onion fan myself, but I liked the leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never cooked with a leek, I hear you have to really soak wash them to get the sand out from between the layers. That said, since I've never used them, the soup really looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete