Thursday, September 30, 2010

Roman Egg-Dipped Panini

I checked a panini cookbook out from the library, aptly named Panini, to see what exciting things it might hold for my panini grill, which I love. So, I made this sandwich for the J for breakfast today (you know, my eternal search for new breakfast ideas also goes on...). They were easy to make and tasty. They'd be great for a lunch as well and, in fact, I don't really think they were intended for breakfast but I figure they have eggs so he could get by with it. :)


Roman Egg-Dipped Panini


8 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced*

8 sliced Pullman-type bread (pain de mie or pane in cassetta)**

1 1/2 C whole milk

2 large eggs

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

Extra virgin olive oil for grill


Cut crusts off of each slice of bread. Divide cheese among 4 of the bread slices. Top with remaining slices of bread and gently press closed. You can cut each sandwich in half or leave whole.


In a large, shallow bowl (I think with a flat bottom is best), whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, and pepper until well blended and frothy.


Lightly soak the assembled panini in the milk mixture until very moist, but not soggy. Transfer to a plate and let sit for a few minutes to finish soaking.


Lightly oil the panini grill and preheat to medium. Grill the panini until the bread is golden, the egg mixture sets, and the cheese melts and barely begins to dribble out. Serve warm.



*I didn’t have sliced mozzarella on hand so I used shredded Italian blend cheese. That worked but it would be easier to dip with a slice of cheese in the middle of the bread rather than tiny little shreds of cheese.

**Poor man’s bread substitution - Italian bread, sliced diagonally, crusts removed.





Altered slightly from Panini by Carlo Middione.

No comments:

Post a Comment