Friday, October 1, 2010

Gluay Buat Chee

I told Jeremy what I was making last night and then I asked him if he knew what it meant. He laughed and said "I have to pee so bad it hurts!" Well. Aparently it depends on the spelling because that's not what this Gluay Buat Chee means! It means "bananas ordained as nuns". (The nuns in Thailand wear white robes). It is devine. And rich. It is very rich. So I would just pour a small bowl for each person. Mmmm!:)




Gluay Buat Chee

3-4 medium bananas (underripe)
1 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt (a little less is ok)


Peel bananas and halve lengthwise. Cut each half into 4 equal pieces. Bring coconut milk, water, sugar and salt to a gentle boil over medium high heat. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add the bananas and serve hot or warm.

*You can freeze any leftovers to use in smoothies!


I got this from the Thai cookbook you guys gave me when I got married: Quick and Easy Thai

3 comments:

  1. I was pretty excited when I saw this post b/c I love bananas in sweet milk so I figured this would be yummy. We made it this morning for Conference breakfast and it's delicious!! I'll add this to my normal breakfast foods for sure. But I'll just call them Thai Bananas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we loved them, too! I think I'll copy Carrie and call them Thai Bananas, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete