Saturday, January 22, 2011

Black Forest Oatmeal


I'm not really sure whether Tiernan and Amelia actually liked this or not. Once Joshie denounced it, they both followed suit, even though 5 minutes before that, Tiernan said he liked it. Grrr....
Anyway, I thought it was quite tasty. I didn't have dried cherries or cherry flavored cranberries so I just used dried cranberries and it was tasty. Oh, and I found that I was out of almonds, so I didn't have any toasted almonds on top, but that would've been scrumptious, I'm sure!


Black Forest Oatmeal

3 1/2 C. chocolate milk
2 C. old-fashioned oats
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
pinch salt
2/3 C. dried cherries (or cherry-flavored cranberries), coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 C. toasted slivered almonds

Bring milk, oats, cocoa, salt and cherries to simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, to desired thickness, about 5 minutes. Stir in almond extract and serve immediately, sprinkling each portion with nuts.
Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment