Monday, January 17, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I used the one butternut squash that grew in our garden this year :( for this soup.  It was worth it though because it's really yummy.  And I got to try out my slick new immersion blender!  I'm sure you could probably use other winter squash with this soup too, like sugar pumpkin or acorn. 
Cameron really loved it.  Even though it doesn't look like it in these pictures, I think he ate about 3 bowls.  I'm pretty sure some of it got into his mouth too.


Butternut Squash Soup

6 T. onion, chopped
4 T. butter
6 c. peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 c. water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4. tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese

In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender.  Add the remaining ingredients, except the cream cheese.  Bring to a boil; cook 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
Puree the soup and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.  Return to saucepan and heat through.  (Or add the cream cheese and blend with an immersion blender).  Do not allow to boil.

Adapted from allrecipes.com

3 comments:

  1. Oh, fantastic! I've been looking for a good butternut squash soup recipe for a while so I'll have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then take pictures of Ava enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! That's great! I'm looking forward to trying this. Hopefully Amelia will like it, but won't make quite as big a mess. :)

    ReplyDelete