Monday, May 25, 2009

Black-Eyed Pea Salsa


Ok, here's a family favorite that Beckly claims I haven't given her... I think I have but she just keeps misplacing it. heh heh. Now she'll have no excuse!

Black-Eyed Pea Salsa

1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can shoepeg corn, drained 
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
Cilantro leaves to taste, chopped
2-4 green onions, finely chopped
2 avocados, diced, reserve pits

Dressing:
1/4 C olive oil
1/4 C red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Juice of 1 lime

Combine all ingredients (black-eyed peas through avocado) in a large bowl and toss.  Put avocado pits in the bowl.  Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.  Pour over black-eyed pea mixture.  Let sit several hours to allow flavors to blend; stir before serving.  

Serve with tortilla chips, cheese quesadillas, tortilla roll-ups, omelets, hamburgers, baked potatoes, etc.  

Tips:
*Leaving the avocado pits in the bowl will help keep the avocado from turning brown.  
*Shoepeg corn does make a difference and is better than regular corn.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. This is delish, I believe we had just this and only this for dinner one night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm...no, I'm pretty sure that I didn't ever get this recipe. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have "misplaced" it....I think your memory is failing you! At least you were kind enough to post it on the blog! It's about darn time that you shared it with someone!

    ReplyDelete