Friday, May 22, 2009

Spinach Tomato Tortellini


This is such a yummy recipe! I got it from allrecipes.com (that's also where the picture came from). It's my favorite tortellini recipe to date... and I have tried quite a few tortellini recipes! I like the creamy sauce, but it's still really flavorful since it has the tomatoes with garlic and onion. We didn't have any spinach when we made it and it was really good but I'm sure it's delicious with the spinach too. Mmmm!

Spinach Tomato Tortellini

1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
While you get the tortellini going, combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.
Drain the tortellini, but do not rinse, then pour them into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to coat, and serve.

5 comments:

  1. Aww Gee, if you lived here you could have spinach from our garden which is all ready and needing to be cut! This sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I'd like to know, is if it really took about 2 minutes to thicken? When I try to do recipes like that, you can usually add a 0 to the end of the number they give...
    It sounds so good though, I think I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah it usually takes a lot longer to thicken sauces than the recipe says but this one does thicken pretty quickly because of the cheese. Mmmm!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very tasty. But, yeah right, it didn't thicken in 2 minutes or 10 so I served it a little soupy-ish. I also used ravioli cause Dad prefers ravioli to tortellini and I sauteed some mushrooms (on the side of course - for mom's sake) because they needed to be used and it was delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm...this was fabulous! Amelia loved it. of course, she likes all food. I didn't have any cream, so I used evaporated milk and it was great! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete