Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cookbook Correction - Black Bean Enchiladas

I've meant to post this correction for a long time to the Black Bean Enchilada recipe in our cookbook (pg. 49) so here it is.

The recipe says to use 2 cans of refried black beans (or regular refried beans). I've never seen refried black beans but I've also never used regular refried beans in these enchiladas and I meant to put 2 cans of "regular black beans" as the substitute. Make sense?

So, what I do is use 2 cans of regular black beans. I drain some of the liquid off, keeping some - just to reach the consistency you want. Then use a potato masher (or fork) to mash up some (not all) of the beans. And proceed with the rest of the recipe.

If you haven't tried these b/c you've been unable to find refried black beans or you've been scared of regular refried bean enchiladas - give them a try with the black beans. Super easy and deeelish!

2 comments:

  1. How funny! We love these and we always use refried black beans... maybe they only sell them in Utah?? I've tried them with regular refried beans as well and they're not bad, but I do like them better with the black kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really good but I've never made them! I just let Carrie make them ;D

    ReplyDelete