Monday, February 8, 2010

Lentils and Rice

Have you ever tried lentils?  I never had until I tried these recipes.  I think they're really good.  The texture and flavor kind of remind me of pinto beans.  I found these on a site my friend recommended (you'll love this) -  http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/!  Isn't that a hilarious name?  Anyway, it's a site that makes me chuckle with that hillybilly, down home style built right in.  It does however have some good ideas for food storage uses (beans, etc.)  We've liked several recipes we've tried from it.  Without further ado:

Homestyle Lentils and Rice
3/4 c. dry lentils
3/4 c. brown rice
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
2 T. dry minced onion
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. basil
4 - 4 1/2 c. water**
2 T. oil or other fat
Shredded cheese, optional

In a 2-qt saucepan, bring the water and oil to a boil.  As the water is heating, add the remaining ingredients, other than the cheese.  Bring the whole thing to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low; cover and allow to simmer for about 45-50 minutes.  The water should be mostly absorbed.  If desired, serve topped with cheese.

**My rice seems to need a little more than what most recipes call for so I use an extra 1/2 c. - don't know about yours.
Also, I always cook this in my rice cooker and it works great - just dump it all in!  The website also says you can cook in it a crockpot for 6-8 hours on low.


Taco Style Lentils and Rice
3/4 c. dry lentils
3/4 c. brown rice
4 - 4 1/2 c. water
4 tsp. beef bouillon
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Shredded cheddar

In a 2-qt saucepan, bring the water and oil to a boil. As the water is heating, add the remaining ingredients, other than the cheese. Bring the whole thing to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; cover and allow to simmer for about 45-50 minutes. The water should be mostly absorbed. If desired, serve topped with cheese.
*We really like to use it as a burrito filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment