Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Oh yum. This is sooooo good! If you don't like super rich chocolate things, then don't make this. It called for bittersweet chocolate, but I had semi-sweet on hand, so that's what I used. But I didn't have enough semi-sweet squares, so I used 6 squares and 1 12-oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and it worked fine. I'm sure you could substitute milk chocolate for this if you wanted to. It's very dense and very rich and very delicious. I made a raspberry sauce to drizzle over it, but I didn't like the sauce....I should've used Carrie's raspberry sauce from this blog. Anyway, this is decadent. If you have a chocolate craving, this will take care of it. : )
It would also be yumalicious served with strawberries and whipped cream. Oh. Yum.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1/2 C. water
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C. white sugar
18 (1 oz) squares semi-sweet chocolate
1 C. unsalted butter
6 eggs

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease one 10-inch round cake pan and set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave, according to package directions. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and carefully fill the larger pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the pan.
Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

From allrecipes.com (Flourless Chocolate Cake I)

1 comment:

  1. Why haven't I been following you before? Especially with your mad cooking/baking skills. Glad I am now.

    ReplyDelete