Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mexican Hot Chocolate

I've decided to get rid of my "Creme de Colorado" cookbook because I've been disappointed in far more recipes than I've liked. It's big and bulky, and doesn't have many good recipes... it's time to go. So, I'm putting the one recipe I do like on here:

Mexican Hot Chocolate

1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
4 C milk, divided
1/4 C light cream (use cream not milk right here - it makes a difference!)
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Heavy cream, whipped
Chocolate shavings

In a small bowl, mix cocoa, sugar, and cinnamon. In medium saucepan, heat 1 cup milk until bubbly. Stir in cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to low and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in remaining 3 cups milk and return to a boil. Blend in cream and vanilla. Remove hot chocolate from heat and whisk until frothy. Pour into cups and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Serves 4

**Do NOT double.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow I always thought everyone loved "Creme de Colorado"... guess it's not that good though eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you put the note not to double it - scorched Mexican chocolate just is not so good...;)

    ReplyDelete